In light of the recent “Customer Letter” that Apple was forced into writing, I felt compelled to help inform others on the best ways to use the built-in iOS security features.
I have some slight modifications that will greatly increase the security of your device:
Under “Set your passcode” #3 & “Change your passcode or passcode settings” 2nd bullet, it says:
“Enter a six-digit passcode. Or tap Passcode Options to switch to a four-digit numeric code, a custom numeric code, or a custom alphanumeric code.”
- Better Security: Use Tails and save the Diceware Passphrase generator website locally (File > Save As) and use it offline.
- Print/Save a copy with other physically sensitive documents (Fire-proof safe with lock). Take as many additional physical security measures as possible/necessary for this single, archived/backup physical copy. You may also keep this phrase in your Offline Password Manager if you feel comfortable accepting the additional risk.
- Keep a minimum number of copies on-hand until it is confidently memorized, then destroy.
- Best Security: destroy original copy once memorized (be careful!)
Tip: your Apple ID/iCloud Password should also be randomly generated or a Diceware phrase, and protected with Two Factor.
- Require Passcode—Immediately
- Allow Access When Locked – Uncheck All
- VERY IMPORTANT! Erase Data Must Be Checked!